Monday, October 29, 2007

Finally!

So last year husby kept asking me what I wanted for my birthday. "A sewing machine", I told him. And since it was an expensive purchase (man, did you know you can get a $10,000 sewing machine - you can buy things for less than that that you need a licence to drive!!!), I got a sewing machine for my birthday and Christmas, plus a couple of other bits and pieces, so I would have something to open on my birthday (as the sewing machine arrived at Christmas time).

I do have a confession. Today, this was what the sewing machine looked like (ps: this is most emphatically not the $10k one - if I'm not going to use it every day for the rest of my life, a nice basic one is good for me!!):
Yep, still in the box. Not even opened. I am a bad bad RoseRed. (And no, I didn't buy it because the box was red. Husby's mother picked it, as she knows her way around a sewing machine). Here's what it's like out of the box:
And more:Check out the warning on the foot pedal - well duh!
And apolgies now, for those who have seen a sewing machine in the last few years - mum's machine is almost as old as me, so opening this box was pretty much a squeeee moment after squeeeee moment. I mean, look at this:
A little drawer for the accessories - spare bobbins, needles, spool holder, unpicker, screwdriver (!!), cute little cleaning brush and so on.
And this - a flappy lid thing with instructions for filling the bobbin, threading, and the settings for all the fancy stitches.
And this - built in holder for all the different feet - including an automatic buttonholer! OMG, it was all I could do to stop hyperventilating the whole time!!

After all the excitement, I even did some sewing...but I'll save that for another day!

18 comments:

MadMad said...

Whoa, Nelly! That is something! I have a really, really old one, which I haul out every two years to do a straight line on something or other... but this is tempting!

Bells said...

Holy moly. I don't believe it. You finally opened it? Did husby have a heart attack?

I love discovering all the places for knick knacks and fiddly bits.

So, was it fun?

Anonymous said...

That's amazing. I think the carrying case and the secret compartments finally sent me over the top. I hope it's everything you've dreamed of and more...

TinkingBell said...

Gosh - they have come a long way - I got mine when I was 18 and that's much longer ago than I care to contemplate - it has barely been out of it's box int he last 5 years though!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love it! I wanted the fliptop lid, but the model I get didn't have one, I just have a little compartment in the front. Enjoy it! :)

amy said...

I wanted one of the new ones (too expensive right now), and I ended up with a hand-me-down (my MIL's), then my mother's, and I'm completely done in by the ancient-ness of them. I taught myself to knit from a book, no problem, but the thought of teaching myself how to use something older than I am, with just an old guide for help... I'm totally intimidated. (Hence the fusible webbing for the capes!!)

Alwen said...

Yeah, my mom gave me a new sewing machine for Christmas the year I got pregnant -- I think it took me two years to get it out of the box!

The one I had before that was Mom's 60's-era White, which was so old.

But I do envy you the sweet little drawers and things.

Ann said...

It look great with all the accessories - I don't sew but I have a manual antique Singer machine.

Anonymous said...

The flip top lid did it for me when I picked mine. Too cool!
I couldn't help smiling when I read through this post... bring on the sewing!
[We can now go fabric shopping together, with Shaz and BP!]

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! Bring on the sewing!

The machine looks good! Looks similar to mine. At least you did well opening it within a year, my mum bought me a sewing machine for my wedding, and I didn't open it until 5 years later!

Anonymous said...

With your birthday coming up, don't forget to check your mail in a few days time!

Signed:
Your Tea Cosy Swap Pal

Denise said...

Oooh pretty pretty! I have a Janome too, about 4 or 5 years old - it's great. Yours has more secret compartments than mine! So glad you finally opened it - like Christmas come early (or really really late ;)!

Rachael Elswyk said...

Oh congrats!!! I have a Janome, and lurve it so! and it's got a flip top lid (just like the Reach ad!) Very exciting, looking forward to seeing what you whip up on it RoseRed!

DrK said...

ooooh pretty. and useful. most excellent! i know birthdays are good for surprises and all that but theres nothing better than getting what you really really want! cant wait to see what you create with it!

Anonymous said...

So cool! I want a sewing machine so badly...I'm hoping it'll teach me to sew!

Yours is really, really nice, even if it's not $10,000.

Linda said...

Well that looks great! I am a sucker for little compartments with things in and organised stuff like that. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic. I love organizing things and putting little gadgets in the right places, and you're sewing machine is perfect for that. I'm jealous. I love my sewing machine, but it doesn't have drawers, instructions, or foot holders.

Michelle said...

I've always wished I had a sewing machine, but I suspect it would end up like yours (ie, still in the box) for quite some time.