Thursday, September 03, 2009

WOW Day 2: Tantric Puzzle Top

Today's Wollmeise phrase: "Stick to your knitting!" (as if there's anything else I'd rather be doing!)

Earlier this year, the Wollmeise introduced a worsted weight yarn, called Molly (Molly being a "fuller-figured" version of the sock yarn!). I was lucky and scored a 4 skein pack in an update, although it's a colour (Campari Orange Dark) very different than I'd normally use for a garment - wild variegated reds, oranges and deep yellow!

I searched and searched Rav for an appropriate pattern that wasn't a clapotis - I have 880 yards and I wanted to use as much as possible, so a garment was a possibility.

I found the Tantric Puzzle Top (Ravlink) and the problem was solved! It's a very cool pattern - basically two long strips sewn together in a particular way and worn crossed over at the front and tied at the back (a great use for woven strips too, for any weavers out there!).

You can use pretty much any yarn and stitch pattern you like, just make the strips the desired width and length. Inspired yet again by someone on Ravelry, I've chosen a lace stitch, in the vein of feather and fan, called Ostrich Plumes. I had a false start with 4.5mm sticks, and have moved up to 5mm now which I think is good.

I'm still a bit iffy about my ability to wear this much bright colour, as well as whether the strips will block out to the correct size, but so far, I'm pretty excited to be making something a little left of centre. Fingers crossed for a winner!

22 comments:

Bells said...

ooh this IS different for you! This will be fascinating to watch!

LynS said...

I think WOW is absolutely appropriate for yesterday's cast on. Both the colour and design are wonderfully adventurous. The Tantric Top is the kind of thing I'm often tempted to make, but never do. I do hope you finish this, as I'd love to see it for real.

Anonymous said...

I have had that queued forever so will be watching to see how it looks (then I can copy and cast on! Wheeeeeee)

Caffeine Girl said...

I love the color. I never liked orange until recently. I think it was Madeline Tosh Citris that turned me around. I think you're going to have a fabulous garment!

jp said...

I will be watching this the colour is fab.

I always saw this in more a linen or a coton yarn so the worsted has me intrigued..can't wait to see it in person.

Sue said...

Another gorgeous project you have cast on for. How beautiful is the orange color too. I cant wait to see how these projects look when they are finished. I cant wait to see what tomorrow's will be.

2paw said...

Oh that's pretty nifty. What a good way to get the most from your Woolymiser!!! When I had a look on The Ravelry, there were some there that I thought I would actually wear!! The colour will be fine, said someone wearing a hand knitted lime/chartreuse coloured vest!!!

Sarah said...

Another new to me pattern - you've been making good use of the Rav search function I see - I always get a bit overwhelmed in there!

TinkingBell said...

I adore these colorus - adn am beyond envious that you scored some molly - the Tantric puzzle has been in my queue for ages and it is really clever - what a fun one!

MadMad said...

I'm STILL convinced this daily cast-on this is breaking some kind of law, but MAN, it's awesome. Daily posts and cool knitting - what more can you ask for? Can't wait to see how this turns out!

kgirlknits said...

purty :D

roxie said...

The yarn is sooo awesome! It's good for you to use colors outside your usual palate. What fun!

Kate said...

Oh, what beautiful colors! See, I live for garments with variants like that. I love bright colors, and I think the Tantric top will look great. Keep going, I want to see how it turns out!

Aussie Maria said...

Love the colour!!!!! Can't wait to see how it turns out

Lea said...

I think that is my favourite Wollmeise colour so I hope you love it to bits when it is done.

Geek Knitter said...

Those colors! Gracious how lovely.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, scrumptious colour - and I think you'll look fabulous in it. Can't wait to see how it turns out - I have a Tantric Puzzle among my WIPs at the moment (cast on last summer), hoping to get it finished in time for summer wear.

Ann said...

I have not seen this pattern before. Your choice of lace stitch is lovely. Can't wait to see the FO.

Tanya said...

That certainly has the wow factor, that's for sure! I have a feeling it will look quite stunning.

Alwen said...

What gorgeous colors! I passed some scarlet maples already turning those colors and it's only the beginning of September.

Kristina said...

Can you share the pattern for the tantric tank with me. I can't find it anywhere and it looks so beautiful. Thanks so much!

THE KNITORIOUS MRS. B said...

Hi! Beautiful-but now the pattern is no longer available Could you/ would you please share the pattern with me?