Thursday, September 17, 2009

See, I can still finish things!

Even amongst all that casting on during the WOW madness, I managed to finish something too.

Of course, it helped that I had a birthday deadline...
Best of all, the 10yo birthday girl loved it! Which was pretty much a gimme, as purple is her favourite colour.

Details
Pattern: Swinging Ribbon Bag (Ravlink) by Candi Jensen from her book Hooked on Crochet. I modified the pattern by doing a single shoulder strap (it was going to be a cross-body strap but I may have run out of time to do that...) and by adding a flap and button closure. And I didn't sew ribbon around the inside edge or the strap, although I do think that is a lovely finishing touch.
This is a very easy pattern - it's just dc all the way (sc for our US friends) and the texture is made by doing one dc in the front loop, and the next in the back, and repeat! It's amazing what a difference this made to the look of the stitch!

Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cathay col 12012, 2.5 x 50g balls - from the stash! Hurrah! And one button - also from stash!

Hook: 4.5mm hook (lucky I wrote this down in my notebook, because I couldn't for the life of me remember even though I only finished it a couple of weeks ago)
Time: 26 August 2009 - 5 September 2009. Love a lovely quick crochet project!

If you are looking for a crochet book with a variety of patterns, I really recommend Hooked on Crochet. It's got a great range of things, most of which are relatively easy, including garments, bags, accessories and trims. It's even got the good old crochet bikini (which, yes, I have made...not for me though!!) In fact, now that I think about it, this is the book I think I've made the most patterns from of any of my books, knitting and crochet. It is a US book, so uses the US terminology, but once you are over that small hurdle, it's easy running (or crocheting) from there. I'd make the crochet skirt pattern from it in a flash...actually, maybe that's what I should do instead of the entrelac skirt...hmmmm, food for thought!

20 comments:

Bells said...

i adore the texture. That turned out just fabulous!

And my library is a bit light on for crochet books. I think I might get this one!

missfee said...

cute as miss jane- actually the texture works well with the colour and the bag - but it doesn't convince me to go to the dark side - the hook as apposed to the needle that is.

LynS said...

Like Fee, this doesn't convince me that I want to crochet - but it is the absolutely perfect gift for a purple-loving 10 year old.

DrK said...

bells crocheted chevron cardi almost made me think about going over the dark side, but then you go and mention crochet bikinis and thats the end of that idea. but this does look really great, and that button is soooo cool! yay for purple!!

Aussie Maria said...

Lovely to see you crochet as well and don't discriminate :-))))
As I too have lately become madly hooked :-)))))
By the way the bag is gorgeous and I can see some "adult girls" wanting them for Xmas

Sarah said...

Finishing as well as starting - you super hero! One day I will learn to crochet, it was going to be this summer now maybe it should be after the Christmas giknitting is done

2paw said...

A perfect project!! Love the purple button too, the right button is so hard to find. I like crocheting, I am considering a crocheted cardigan, maybe!!!

Lynne said...

I love the colour [it's my favourite too!!] Gorgeous bag and I'm sure the recipient was overjoyed.

m1k1 said...

The front/back stitch variation lifts the dc to a new level. I had never seen that before.
colour and button are perfect.

MadMad said...

Oh, I know! I know! The bikini was for Husby, right? ;)

kgirlknits said...

sweet button :)

Donna Lee said...

When you said it was a sc (for me it would be a sc) stitch, I was interested because that's not how sc looks to me. But the front and back stitch thing makes sense. It's really a cute purse.

roxie said...

You give great gifts!

michele said...

i agree - you give great gifts (still wearing my socks). this bag is sweet.

stitchbliss said...

Purple, cool button, hand bag, what a perfect present for a 10 year old. I feel inspired, if only I could crochet.

Gidgetknits said...

I love those bags - she's have a custom made bag for keeps!

Probably Jane said...

Lovely - makes me want to be 10 all over again!

Linda said...

I like taht! I am into crochet at the mo.

Caffeine Girl said...

Absolutely adorable. I would like to learn crochet, but I'm already so short on knitting time!

Ann said...

Lovely bag & I do like the textured stitch. I finally gave in & learn crochet & I am so glad that I did.