I'm so very happy I decided to dig up this Buried Treasure from my personal sock club!
There was a lot of work in these socks (cables.every.second.row!) but they were worth it!
Pattern: Buried Treasure by Sivia Harding. First published in Yarn magazine, #8, now also available direct from Sivia Harding (via Ravelry). Lovely pattern - I love the large cable which runs down the front of the leg and top of the foot, the intricate little cables around the back of the leg, and in particular, how the cabling from the side continues down the foot and is eventually decreased away - very very clever!
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock Lightweight, in Beryl - 1 skein plus 10g. I thought I would have enough yarn for this pattern, but since I made the large size, and because of all the cables, when I finished the first sock and weighed it, and then weighed the skein, I realised immediately I'd run short - sigh!
So I turned to Ravelry. Ah, love Ravelry! I found someone in the US with some leftover STR in their stash, and asked her if she would be able to spare it - and to my joy, she could! So a HUGE thanks to Nora7 on Rav, who not only sent me her leftover yarn, but also sent some KoolAid and chocolate! Some big karma points (plus tim tams and various other goodies) for Nora7!
So this is where I ended up with the first skein of STR, plus the extra from Nora7 - thank goodness I found a kind soul who could help me with this wonderful yarn!
Sticks: 2.5mm KP Fixed circular - magic loop. This pattern is written for socks on two circs or magic loop - it's much easier to manage all the cabling this way, although you could of course use dpns. I upsized from the recommended 2.25mm sticks, although in hindsight I could have used the smaller needles. I was worried about having enough room in the leg, as the cables pull the pattern in, but as it is they are slightly loose - which is fine, as that's how husby likes his socks!
Time: Not as long as I initially thought - I remember the first few rows after the cuff took me hours! But once I got into the swing of things with the cables, it was much easier and quicker (thank goodness!). And once on the foot, even more so, given the cable was only one side, and the number of stitches on the needles had decreased from 92 down to 72. So 30 March 2009 - 20 May 2009.
Modifications: As noted, I used a size larger needles. I also decided to change the way the pattern is set up on sock two, to avoid having to break the yarn and rejoin when doing the heel. I wish I'd thought that through a bit more before I rushed in and did it, as it meant I had to do an extra row to get the yarn in the right place for the heel, and it really was a bit of a pain (although not as much of a pain as breaking and rejoining yarn...I think!). I also omitted the beads - I just don't like the idea of beaded socks (although never say never!). Lucky though, as after I started this pattern I decided I'd give these socks to husby, and I'm pretty sure he's not a beaded sock man!
What I learnt: To think through modifications to their logical end, BEFORE I rush in and do them! Overall, I love these socks! And finishing these means another brown bag from my personal sock club - woo hoo!