Saturday, February 06, 2010

Ah, so much better now...

I feel so much better now that I have these monkeys off my back (or more correctly, my WIP list).
I don't know why, but I found these socks a real slog to get through, particularly the second one. I don't usually suffer from second sock syndrome, and this pattern is ridiculously easy, so I'm not sure why I found these a trial.

But they are done now, and I am glad!
Details
Pattern: No-purl monkeys, pattern adapted by CraftyPancakes from Cookie A's Monkey socks. The no-purl variation is so easy - it's an 11 row repeat, with only 4 pattern rows, with the rest being all knit. And I think it is nicer than the original and works equally well with variegated yarns (one of the great advantages of the Monkey pattern).

Yarn: ShiBui sock in Pebble (col 3001). This is a really nice yarn to knit with, similar to Koigu or Louet Gems, but it can suffer from pooling, depending on your gauge. I checked out the projects on Rav in this colour and there were some shockers (if pooling is not your thing). Fortunately, mine striped rather nicely, except for the gussets, which I can live with.

Sticks: KnitPicks Harmony dpns, 2.75 for one sock cuff (I forgot for the second one!!) and 2.5mm for the rest.

Time: October 4, 2009 - February 2, 2010. And these were my May 2009 Personal Sock Club socks!! And I'm not going to start another pair from the PSC until I finish at least another sock wip (more on that in time!)

Modifications: I did a tubular cast on for these, which is a bit more fiddly than my usual long-tail cast on, but does make a slightly nicer stretchier edge, always good for socks. I chose an easy version of the tubular cast on (the first method described in the link), I probably should try the even fiddlier version because I suspect that looks even better (eg this one).

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for knittign these socks, I really am pleased with the outcome! Apart from any other considerations, a finished pair of socks is another pair that can actually be worn!

19 comments:

DrK said...

i think Monkey is almost my favourite pattern, but the idea of doing a no purl version makes them even better! this is beautiful yarn, such a lovely colour. i cant wait to see what you start on next.

Anonymous said...

they have turned out fantastically well. Much admiration from over here. I think I have several yarns that would work well for this.

Unknown said...

All your socks look so great. Almost makes me want to knit a pair.

2paw said...

I like the Purl-less Monkeys better than the Purlful ones too. The colours are so pretty, brown and aqua always look good together!!

Anonymous said...

You finished them! That is just a beautiful colourway, and the pattern does it justice.

I really had ought to knit some monkeys sometime. Just learnt the twisted german cast-on for stretchy sock-tops. I'm really impressed. Tubular cast-ons are next on my list.

MadMad said...

They do look great - love the color, too! Will try the cast on for my next pair of socks.

LynS said...

They do look good - so even and neat. Ideal match of pattern and yarn.

kim said...

Wow, seeing these almost (I said almost) makes me want to knit a pair of socks. They are beautiful.

Caffeine Girl said...

The socks are adorable. Maybe I'll try a pair. I found the original Monkey socks cute but a slow knit.

Jen said...

I LOVE the way the colour has worked out in these - in fact the pooling on the gusset ADDS to the overall look :)
they are very handsome socks indeed - and you know, looking at these, I think i might prefer the no-purl version (even though i have no issues with purling)
these even make me want to knit with earth tones (but that won't happen) ;)

Sarah said...

Funny how a knit just doesn't click sometimes isn't it - well not funny actually - more like tedious! Still haven't tried this variation, these lovelies have bumped it up the sock queue.

Lynne said...

I left a comment - I don't know where it went!

Lovely socks - I have yet to knit either version of Monkey!

I always use a tubular cast on - I do a slightly different version of the "more fiddly version" which doesn't involve carefully unpicking. If you want it, let me know (it's the version I taught at my workshop in October).

Anonymous said...

No purl monkeys have always sounded like a wonderful idea, and I like how wearable they look. Beautiful knitting - is the tubular cast on better than knitting on?

Donna Lee said...

I like looking at the pooling thread on ravelry. There are some wild patterned socks there. I like the purl stitches in my monkeys. I think I purl just as fast as I knit. But, the pattern works so well with your yarn. I love the color.

kgirlknits said...

yours do stripe very nicely, you're right! the colours look fab in comb with this pattern

Anna said...

They look adorable though, so hopefully worth all the slog! Have you tried the tubular cast on on Ysolda's blog: http://ysolda.com/support/pictorial-guides/double-rib-tubular-cast-on/

The nice thing about it is that it doesn't use scrap yarn, is easy and looks good.

missfee said...

Rosered these look even better finished - and I love the no purl pattern - I now have a severe case of want them too....

Jodi said...

I love these and am determined to make them for myself. I'm really lusting after your sock blockers though. Those are fantastic!

Ethelbert said...

laser hair removal

new mmo 2011

hotel portsmouth nh

18k gold

charlotte wedding venues

spiderman on broadway cancelled

cheap hotels nyc

bachelor of science in nursing salary

hotels san jose