Friday, October 15, 2010

It's been a long time coming

Remember RoseRedia Jones' excavation about a month ago? The main reason (apart from the pressing need to actually tidy it up) for that expedition was to find one of my most long-standing WIPS - the Shaped Lace Tee, which I started in January 2008 (!!). With summer looming, I decided it was time to get it off the sticks and off my WIP list.
Especially since all I needed to do was knit the pathetically small cap sleeves and then block and seam it!
Which I have now done, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Details
Pattern: Shaped Lace Tee by Joan McGowan Michael, from Knitting Lingerie Style. I believe this is the same pattern as her Krista Tee, which is sold separately on her website. A really nice pattern in a wide range of sizes.
Yarn: Rowan Calmer in Khaki (sh 474), just a smidge over 4 balls (!!). I had 5 balls of this lovely yarn, and I really thought I'd be pushing it to make this pattern. I swatched (twice!), couldn't get gauge and so did the maths to work out I needed to make the next size up to get the right size for me. With hindsight, I wish I'd gone two sizes up, as I would have had enough yarn and it would have given me a bit more wiggle room.

This yarn really stretches! Great for anything fitted like this pattern, because you don't really need any shaping, the yarn does that work for you.
Sticks: 5mm KnitPicks Harmony Options

Time: January 2008 - 1 October 2010. And it even fits me!
Modifications: Vey little - I did a 3-needle bind-off for the shoulder seams and that's it. Although if I were to make this again, I would make the sleeve caps wider - they are riculously narrow. They do work, but I'd just give myself a bit more room up there. I'd also possibly do a ridge of garter stitch (or three) around the bottom, as I think it will curl (even more) with wear.
I really like the square neckline finished with a round of crochet, very flattering for my body shape. If only my bust was as perky and my hips as narrow as Dolores the Dummy, my stunt double ... lucky this yarn s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s (did I mention that already?)!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is just fabulous. the design, the yarn, the colour. it would look great on you. personally i think dolores needs to put a few inches ON the hips, but im glad to hear it stretches and fits. you are such a lovely finisher. you should like, run a workshop!

Donyale said...

Hmmmm, just had a thunk. Those blocking boards will come in handy in a few years non?

Anyhoo. Dolores is WAY too slim....but my my what a lovely project. Well done.

Leonie said...

It's gorgeous. What a lovely yarn/colour/pattern combo. No wonder you wanted it finished.

Gidgetknits said...

I love that! I've had that T on my wish list for a while - you're inspiring me!

jp said...

That is just stunning.
A gorgeous pattern and great yarn.

Bells said...

i LOVE This! What a masterpiece. The detail, the colour, the fit (on Delores! But I'm sure also on you!) are all perfectly executed. Really great job. Beautiful.

m1k1 said...

i like very much. you knit so beautifully.
isn't it odd that some things can sit almost finished for so long, and then when they're done, you wonder why! i've only 2 little sleeve edgings to go on a vest, and it has been waiting for well over a year.

MadMad said...

OMG - that is beautiful! Love everything about it! Truly stunning.

Janette said...

RR - that's simply gorgeous!

Alrischa said...

Beautiful pattern, and your one looks fantastic. I love it. Raunchy lace on the front, though. Guess you can't really be wearing a hot pink bra under it... hehe

Donna Lee said...

It's a beautiful piece and will be perfect as you move into spring. The color is lovely and cool looking and the lace details are just beautiful.

Mereknits said...

Absolutey Beautiful! The color is amazing you your knitting looks like it is ready to be displayed in a book. I bet you look fantastic in it.

Denise said...

Oh wow, it's just stunning Jane ... I've had that pattern queued on Ravelry for some time now, and seeing how your has turned out makes me think I need to push it to the top of the list! Beautiful work.

The colour is lovely, but are you having red withdrawal symptoms?

kgirlknits said...

beautiful :D

and I can't believe that's Dolores not you? like peas in a pod <3

Alwen said...

That is a cute little T. Not my color, but wow, I like the pattern a lot!

(I guess unless you read Hyperbole and a Half, I better not say "I like that alot"...)

Olivia said...

Just the sleeve by itself is a little work of art. I love the colour too, it's a great contrast with the prettiness of the lace.

Anonymous said...

I love the contrast between the neutral colour and the lace - can't wait to see it in real life!

Sarah said...

I'm sure it look just as gorgeous on you as on Dolores - lovely work intrepid explorer

Yoga Knitdra said...

What a great finish and so wearable, good on you for persisting with it.

Ann said...

Gorgeous & the perfect summer top. I have 5 balls of Rowan Calmer too but never thought of using it for a garment as the yarn is so stretchy.

kim said...

Such a perfectly constructed T. You do beautiful work.

Jodi said...

Oh how I love this pattern and WISH I could wear it. Sadly, my waist is as big as my bust right now so anything fitted is OUT. The cap sleeves are beautiful. You're such a precise knitter. Achieving an even tension throughout anything -- large or small -- is my biggest challenge. Great job!

Kate said...

Wow! What a beautiful lace T! You will look wonderful in it!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I remember you knitting that... It really is gorgeous. May have to revisit that pattern. It looks like it could be quite comfy.