Sunday, June 05, 2011

For the maths geeks

Last weekend our parents group held a combined first birthday party for our babies (are they still babies once they are one?  I guess so, since he isn't a toddler yet, but he's just so much bigger than a newborn!).  I volunteered to make the cake:

and we also did a gift exchange, so I thought I'd make one of these:

And it was fun - mostly!

Details
Pattern: Celestine Crochet ball by Betsy Myles - a free pattern, yay!  A few people complain on Ravelry that this is a bit of a confusing pattern, or not well written.  I think it's written fine - you start off with a chain loop and steadily decrease to the point, then add another point building on the last one (got to love a join-as-you-go project!), but I did have trouble starting off each new point, more because I kept forgetting how I got it started the last time.  I think I managed to get it right after I'd made about 8 or 9 of the points!  Oh dear!


Half done!
 So I took some pictures, so hopefully I will remember next time, because I would like to make another one, they are pretty fun, and unusual looking - it's a 12 pointed star, a sort-of dodecahedron!  I just like saying dodecahedron, really!

Foundation row for new point
Yarn: Opal 4ply sock yarn col 1232.  Only 32g, so you can easily get 3 of these from a ball of sock yarn.  Or possibly from leftovers, if you'd already made socks!  You can use any size yarn, it will just affect the size of the end product.

Hook: 3mm

Time: 20 May 2011 - 27 May 2011 - a week, not bad!  I think it took me around an hour for each point, with all the unpulling every time I started a new point and forgot how to join the darn thing so it didn't twist and was facing the right direction!

Modifications: I made the pattern as written, but rather than doing the chain first and then the crochet into the previous point(s), I did the crochet into the previous points first, then the chain.  For some reason, this was easier to work out the joining. 

There's also a small error in the pattern when starting the 11th point, you only do 7 chain, the rest are all crochet into previous points.

The last point was very fiddly, but I managed it ok.  When stuffing the ball, I also put in a cat toy to give the ball a "rattle".  I was worried the stuffing might muffle the noise, but it comes out nice and clear, without being annoying loud like some (many?!) kids toys!

25 comments:

Lynne said...

Very cute indeed.

I can crochet but that looks a little scary! Well done you.

Leonie said...

That is one project that keeps coming to the top of my list of things to do, but never gets done. Brilliance to use the leftovers from some socks, I'm sure I've got some of that lying around :-)

Celia said...

I've seen that pattern. Very cute. I love the cake. I just want to eat it.

MadMad said...

The only problem with it would be having to give it away! Too cute!

amy said...

It's cute but also oddly strange. I can see the appeal to little ones, though! And maybe cats...

And very cute cake!

kgirlknits said...

oh, I am well impressed with that celestine toy - kudos to you, RoseRed!!

very cute cake too :)

LynS said...

Love the dodecahedron - and the word, of course! It also looks really good in these subdued colours rather than in vibrant brights as so many children's toys are.

Bells said...

ha! See you say fingers on gloves look like they'd give you the shits. I say that would give me the shits. But it's so impressive. I hope it was appreciated!

Sweetp said...

That is totally cute.And yeah dodecahedron is fun to say!

1funkyknitwit said...

The cake turned out out great - so cute !

Isn't your crochet amazing, the toy is fantastic and so much better that bought toys - so lovely and very tactile - perfect !
I love the rattle idea inside - cause we know how kids get bored real quick without "some" stimulation ;D

Gidgetknits said...

That is cute - and I love the way the colours work.

Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous have you seen the Norah Gaughan knitted version? I would have a cast iron guarantee that such a cool gift was appreciated!

2paw said...

Yes, babies until they are two, I think, and then they are Toddlers!! I have often looked at that 3D knitted shape, I might have to give it a go, it is an inspired dingly dangly squeaky toy!!

kim said...

A year already???? Where does the time go? Oh, and I still call Gianna "baby."

michele said...

what a great exchange gift! it's so cute. and sculptural at the same time. it was a while ago since i was 1 but i'd love this!

the cake is really pretty too. sounds like a fun event.

amy said...

I went looking for the knit version travellersyarn mentioned--here it is! http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/celestine (for anyone else who's interested)

am I the only one who thinks it looks like a whole bunch of those pointy bras from, what was it, the 50s? Ha, which is why it would appeal to any of my kids as babies. ;)

G started walking at 11 months, so I suppose she was technically a toddler before she turned one. But they're all still my babies, even the huge one who is almost ten!

Sarah said...

Very cool but I'll not be attempting that any time soon - it looks exactly the kind of project I love to look at and would hate to work!

Cake looks very awesome too - I don't mind making (or eating) those :o)

Alwen said...

That is a very cool looking toy!

I like saying dodecahedron, too.

roxie said...

Oh that is great fun! Wonder if I can do it in cotton thread and stuff it with lavender to use as a sachet?

dodecahedron is an awesome word!

Mereknits said...

Happy Birthday to all the little ones, I love the present and I bet it was weel received.
Have a wonderful day,
Meredith

Anonymous said...

what beautifully creative birthday ideas! the celestine really is a work of art. i admire your fortitude!

Linda said...

I love your cake and the knit looks so interesting to make!

Donna Lee said...

I love that! A coworker and his wife are having twins. I don't know if I have the heart to make two of those and give them away. I'd want to keep it for myself. I'd put the bells inside and shake it all the time. I'm easy to amuse.

Ann said...

You did a great job with the ball. I love it & it looks great with the Opal yarn. I would love to play with it.

catsmum said...

I keep meaning to make one of these but so far it hasn't happened. I'll need to bookmark this post for mods and clarifications , won't I ?

and love the cake too!