Even though this is the second project I've posted in my Knit for Connor month, it was actually the first completed. It just took me a while to put in the elastic (as usual, it's the final touch that makes the garment useful and wearable that takes me forever!).
I recently bought the MillaMia book The Close Knit Gang. It's a fab little pattern book for toddlers, with really cute and stylish garments mostly sized up to about 5 yo. I chose the Lillen Pant(ses) pattern first, as I thought it would be a really good way to use this yarn - from stash - woo hoo!
Pattern: Lillen Bottoms 12-18 mo size, from The Close Knit Gang. These are really cute little pantses, knit flat in two identical pieces.
Yarn: The MillaMia yarn (which is lovely, by the way) is really a sport/5ply yarn. But since I am trying to knit from the stash, and my stock of sport weight yarn is fairly limited, I thought I'd use this skein of Wollmeise 100%, in one of the club colours, Saami. It's a colour that really screams out to be used for kids, I think, given the primary colours! I even swatched, to check whether I'd need to knit a size (or more) up to make up for gauge differences. I was surprised to find I got gauge with the suggested needles, even though the WM is really a fingering/4ply weight. I used about 115g of the 150+g skein.
I am also glad the WM is machine washable!
Time: 25 July 2011 - 12 August 2011.
Modifications: The pattern has a ribbed waistband. I didn't really think it would stay up very well, especially with a crawling baby (Connor hadn't yet started walking when I started these!). So I did a stocking stitch turned band (with provisional cast on) to act as a casing, so I could put elastic in.