Friday, January 13, 2012

Red stripes go faster

My first FO of 2012!  Towards the end of this project, I never thought it was going to be finished, but then, as if by magic, the very last fat stripe was done and I was casting off.  Amazing!
Details:
Pattern: Stripe Study by Veera Valimaki.  Yes, just about everyone has knit this. Something about the stripes, the garter stitch, and the clever, but easy pattern.  Not to mention the great photography and yarn colour choice.  You can't underestimate the power of good project photographs to sell patterns!
I really enjoyed knitting this.  Yes, the last stripe seemed neverending - 4"/10cm of garter stitch on rows approaching 500 stitches each (I think - I couldn't bring myself to actually count!).  But the short rows to provide the assymetrical shaping is a really cool feature, and fun to knit.  And you don't have to pick up the wraps in garter stitch short rows either!  I used a stitch marker where I wrapped the stitch, so on the next row I just had to remove it and count 20 stitches beyond it, before the next wrap. Made this even more of an autopilot knit.
Yarn:  Wollmeise 100% Merino superwash in Clementine - 1 skein plus 20g, and Wollmeise 80/20 Twin in Vamp, just under 1 skein.  I really like orange and red together, but omg this orange is BRIGHT!  It really didn't look as flurescent in the skein.  And nor does the colour really show true in the photos - it is much much brighter.  I figure this will be just like a safety vest in poor visibility weather - like a beacon!  It will certainly brighten up a dull winter's day!
Sticks:  4mm KnitPicks Options

Time:  30 August 2011 - 8 January 2012

Modifications:  I did 13 orange stripes (the pattern has you knit 12).  Mainly because I had enough yarn.  As it turns out, I had to omit the very last 2 rows of orange, because I would have run out, but it is a very forgiving pattern, and so this isn't really noticeable. Otherwise, I knit the pattern as written. It ended up being 60"/153cm in length and 27"/68cm in depth (pre-blocked - I haven't actually blocked it yet!)/
I really enjoyed knitting this.  I'm not entirely convinced how wearable it is - not because of the colour, but the shape.  I will reserve my judgment on this, I think it is going to need a shawl pin to stay on, especially if I wear it more as a shawl (ie for warmth) rather than just a scarf.  But I do know that I'll never get hit by a car when wearing it, heh!
Unless I happen to be lying down whilst wearing it ... a certain someone thinks it makes an excellent superhighway for all of his cars - it has already fulfilled this function a number of times, and I haven't even worn it yet!

31 comments:

Bells said...

oh wow!! I love it. It has to be the loveliest racing track I've ever seen.

I'm going to have to join the throngs and make this eventually. Love it!

Jan said...

I made this last winter in deep green and black. Gets loads of compliments. Wearing? Experiment with how you drape it round you because of its asymmetrical shape. I secure mine with a straight shawl pin about 7" long and it seems to stay put.

DrK said...

i love my stripe study but i do use a pin to keep it on, or the strap of my hand bag. it looks fantastic in these colours, and obviously very well suited to car racing! yay for the first FO! well done.

missfee said...

WOW I absolutely love the colour combination

especially love the repurpose as a car driving road

Lynne said...

The cars remind me of another little person I know very well! That's what sashing is for on quilts too!

Intriguing pattern - I'll be watching closely to see if you ever wear it as a shawl.

Sarah said...

Gorgeous! And multipurpose! Win!

Let us know if you do find it wearable - I really want one but mainly because I thought it would be a super easy fling and wear shawl.

2paw said...

They do, just like red cars and what a great re-purposing of your shawl. Which is beautiful and if it has an added safety feature, that's a bonus!! I have seen lots of these but I haven't knitted one.

MadMad said...

That last picture cracks me right up! You should make it your project page photo! Nice job - I love your color combination. I'm about to tackle her Color Affection - I guess stripes are the new black!

LynS said...

What a great way to start your knitting year. I haven't had trouble keeping my version of this on - but I think the yarn I used is catchier than yours, and I do use mine more as a scarf than a shawl.

One way or another, It's clear this shawl will be enjoyed

Donna Lee said...

the colors look great together and I'll admit, I wouldn't think red and orange would work. That has to be one of the most expensive toy car roads ever!

Nice to see your whole family getting involved in your craft.

Unknown said...

I will be eager to hear of your experience wearing it. I haven't knit it due to being leery of the shaping. But it is stunning.

roxie said...

That totally rocks! And there's a certain meditative zen to knitting miles of garter stitch. You must model this for us!

del said...

What great colors. I love brights so this is perfect. I'm going to have to add this to my queue -- groan! lol. Fabulous job!

Twisted Knitter said...

It's beautiful! I haven't taken the plunge yet, but I love garter stitch and clever patterns.

I love that it's also a very functional superhighway :-)

amy said...

I haven't made it! Hadn't even heard of it. I'm so behind the times. :) I love the colors, very cheery, and I like the way Connor thinks, too!

Mereknits said...

I have not made it but now I sure am thinking about it. Absolutely beautiful and to be used as a car track also...amazing.
Meredith

Sweetp said...

Gorgeous. You are so brave with the colour choices but I think they work brilliantly together. Certainly something nice to wear on a gray winters day. Love the race track pic lol.

Gidgetknits said...

I love the orange! A little bit of sunshine on the superhighway!

Kate said...

That is a wonderfully vibrant shawl, but honestly my fave pic is the car superhighway ;P
ps spamcatcher word today is 'redle' - I'm mentally substituting a y at the end, too perfect for you!

Michelle said...

I think it's just beautiful, Jane. Those colours are stunning together. Really, really lovely.

Michelle said...

I think it's just beautiful, Jane. Those colours are stunning together. Really, really lovely.

Ruby Girl said...

It looks great, I love the way it stripes, and how good is it that is doubles as a race track for cars.

Anonymous said...

You can absolutely take up cycling at night now! Love it, not just for the finished product, but also cos it seems a bit our of character for you. Next yuo'll be making a shawls from pink yarn! Clearly Connor love it too,don't you love what children see?

Anonymous said...

I love seeing the development of a toddler's imagination. Would he look good in orange and red?

I'll be looking for wearability reports as well.

michele said...

hahahaha - the last photo cracks me up!!!!

i think it's found a perfect use.

i mean i love orange - and i would probably wear this - but really it's just too perfect as a race car track.

congratulations on your 1st FO of the year. you're off to a checkered flag start (sorry couldn't resist).

Ann said...

Lovely shawl & great combination of color. Looks like Connor has claimed the right to use the shawl - smart boy !

1funkyknitwit said...

Oh my I may just have to jump start my heart -> it's GORGEOUS !!!! :D
This turned out SO good Jane, you just have find ways to wear it. It would look good with denim, black purple, I'm sure you can find stuff.
I love the car track ..lol, kids they find ways to entertain themselves .)

Virginia G said...

Looks awesome!

I really love that pattern, and have been meaning to knit it.

yoel said...

So lovely! The color combo is beautiful. Great job!

Zena said...

Love that bright orange, perfect to brighten up a cold grey winters day.

And oh that last photo is too cute!

kgirlknits said...

Bwahaha! Love the use as a four lane highway!! Its a beautiful scarf, too. I think the muted burgundy red works well as a counterfoil with the brighter orange, and will surely add cheer come winter