Monday, July 09, 2007

Gimme a...

Gimme a "C"

Gimme an "L"

Oh, can't be bothered with all the rest - you know what it spells:
C L A P O T I S !!!

Yippee! All done and dusted, blocked and all. I did quite like the unblocked look, but thought I'd give her a wash and block, just to see her in all her glory. And BrownPants assured me that hers sprang back into pre-blocked shape after a few wears and that sealed it for me.

Here she is in pre-blocked state - you can't really see the dropped stitches from the knit side, although they do make pleasing bubbles on the purl side (which I think is my preferred side, not sure why I didn't take a picture of the purl side instead!!

And post-blocking - but still drying - much wider, can see the dropped stitches in their loveliness!

Of course, when I put it in the wool wash to soak yesterday, it was a glorious sunny day. Almost as soon as I laid it on the deck table to dry, the clouds came in. Then the rain. Lucky the deck has a roof.
I had to bring her inside to finish drying so I could complete the photo shoot!!
Details:
Pattern: In case you are one of the only people in the world who hasn't knit it or put on their to-make list, it is Kate Gilbert's Clapotis, from Knitty. I only did 5 increase repeats (rather than 7) as I had only 3 skeins of the yarn and I also wanted it slightly narrower - worsted weight wraps are pretty much not needed in Sydney (although, with the weather lately, I'm not so sure about that!). From feeling a bit "meh" about this pattern when I first saw it, I now am a complete convert! I've worn Clappy twice at work and have had compliments both times. I loved knitting this as well - it was my "easy" knit, my break from the Traveler's Stockings, and I was quite sad when I finished this.
Yarn: 3 x 100g skeins of Claudia's Handpainted Yarns, Worsted weight, in colour "Black Walnut" (lot 009) - gorgeous mix of reds, burgundies, little bit of purple, brown and grey. Bought in New York. Love it to bits!

And it was lucky I only did 5 increase repeats, or else I would have had to end this quite short - as it was I didn't quite make it to the end, but have only had to cut off a little piece of the corner, which you can't notice at all.
Sticks: 5.5mm Knitpicks Options. These are great needles - one of my best knitting investments.
Time: 11 June - 30 June 2007 - a quick knit (for me!) How exciting is it to get to your first dropped stitch row. It made me do a little happy dance every time - and is a good incentive to keep knitting as well!
What I learnt: Thanks to Donni and Nora for their good advice about purling the stitch which will be dropped rather than using stitch markers - that made it sooo much easier. The main thing though is really that I should always keep an open mind about patterns.

17 comments:

Bells said...

oh it's breathtakingly beautiful. I will knit one of these. I surely will. Yours is just so pretty. It looks great on you, too.

Man, I want one.

amy said...

Oh. So Pretty. You make me want one, now.

Shazmina Bendi said...

I GOT TO FONDLE IT! I GOT TO FONDLE IT! NAH NAH!! I have decided to make 1 for myself out of 8ply from the knittery in the Earth colourway. Wool has been ordered, specially dyed for me!! I am a happy camper! :)

Denise said...

Just stunning! You're convincing me I should have a go at this pattern after all :)

Georgie said...

speechelss....just stunning. It looks am.a.zing on, and the colours are gorgeous.

Like you I wasnt convinced at the start, but I'm a convert.

I SO want one too! Maybe we can have a little KAL?

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

looks really lovely!

Lynne said...

Beautiful yarn, beautifully knitted!
I want what she's having! LOL

Anonymous said...

Looking *gorgeous*!

Linda said...

Its a beauty ... well done! I want to make another one now!

Anonymous said...

Your clapotis came out beautifully! I love the colors. I was also very "meh" when I first saw this pattern, but I'm liking it more & more. Great job.

~Jody said...

Looks fantastic!! Love the colors!

kgirlknits said...

Your colour choice really looks lovely with this pattern - enjoy your clapotis!

great tip about purling the "drop" stitch too - thanks for sharing; I'll file that one away ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish I was there to fondle it! Never mind, I'll fondle it NEXT time! :)

Janette said...

Isn't it a great feeling when you've just completed Clapotis!

Congratulations, the colour is beautiful.

jacqui said...

Lovin the clap. Gorgeous. Well done.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I like the C pattern either, and I've looked at it several times as well as blogged-about finished ones. Yours is indeed lovely - the colours are wonderful! You may have just twisted my arm enough to try it - I'll have a wander over to The Knittery and see if any colours strike me for this.