Sunday, September 09, 2007

Because all little girls love horses

Because all little girls love horses (well, except me) I have made these baby jodhpur style pants for my new niece, Hannah.Well, I started them before she was born, when I didn't know if she was going to be a Hannah or a Harry, as I figured they were fairly unisex (so clearly am fibbing above). I just thought they were cute. So Hannah arrived last Monday and it was time to finish these, so I worked on them all week.

And hated most of it.

I've decided that knitting to a deadline really kills the pleasure for me. So I either need to start things well early, or just gift them late - why do something which I don't enjoy. Like the Yarn Harlot suggests in Casts Off, just as it is possible to knit love into a gift, I think it is possible to knit loathing as well - and that's not a good thing, is it!

So, details:

Pattern: Jodphur style pants, from Panda book #205, Adorable Baby Knits - this is a very reasonably priced baby pattern book with lots of easy baby knits.

Yarn: Rowan 4ply cotton, about 1.5 x 50g balls, in oatmeal colour. The pattern uses wool, but as Hannah's older brother has very sensitive skin and can only wear cotton, I thought she might be the same, so used this cotton instead. It knits up well, and is quite soft to touch, for a cotton yarn. Bonus points for using yarn from the stash!

Sticks: 3.5mm Addi Turbo circular

Time: 19 August 2007 - 8 September 2007
Modifications: As the cotton ribbed waistband is not quite as stretchy or tight as it would be in wool, I made it a bit shorter than the pattern, and folded it over and sewed it down on the inside, so elastic could be threaded around the waist. If I was making this pattern again, I would convert it to knit in the round, from the waistband down.

13 comments:

Snoozen said...

Congratulations on becoming an aunt yet again. Pass on our love to SIL. Very cute pants, I had been looking forward to seeing images of the finished project as the description had sounded so interesting.

Bells said...

So gorgeous. Love them!

I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of self discipline once in a while - just don't make a habit of it!

Anonymous said...

these do look really cute! and i wouldn't worry about the loathing part. everything that isn't for me is a huge chore to knit. but the recipients have been happy and not cursed.

Linda said...

Very cute! I am sure the recipient will look good in them.

Anonymous said...

Great neutral colour, J.

PS: Do you realise we forgot to meet up on Saturday!?!

Georgie said...

I don't much like deadlines either - they can take the pleasure not just out of the project in question, but out of everything else as well when you feel guilty for not working on the deadline project!

Very sweet and stylish little pants though - I'm sure the recipient will look gorgeous in them!

TinkingBell said...

Sweet - lovely and don't worry about hating the knitting - the thing that REALLY matters in loving the recipient!

Anonymous said...

Very cute Wicked J. Are you going to make a jumper to match?

Question: My sister, as you may or may not know, has recently returned from 5 years in the UK. She is desperate to start knitting and needs to know where to go to get wool.

I am clearly the wrong person to ask but luckily for her I know the right person (that would be you!)

Recommendations please.

Fab Fi

Ann said...

They are cute! Knitting on a deadline is a horrible feeling & I don't like that too.

Anonymous said...

Those are so adorable! But I can understand how deadling knitting can be no fun.

Em said...

It does take a lot of the fun out of knitting to know that you have to have so much knit by a certain time; you stop concentrating on the process so much and start worrying more about just getting it done. It's possible to knit loathing into one's projects, but I think there needs to be a lot of swearing and cursing and maybe dancing under the full moon involved for it to take.

catsmum said...

congrats auntie RR
how big was she? any middle name?
come ON girl!
btw when I made those pants I put a row of yo,k2tog eyelets and a drawstring - that worked too :]
Never thought about converting to topdown though. I'll happilly pinch the details if you care to share once you've done all the brain work [ oh lazy lazy me ]
as to sharing the shoe photos - well you know I practically live in cowdy boots and you've seen my gorgeous lace up Sandolls. Maybe the Sara Cole zip sided/kitten heeled cuties I wore to the Gallery opening a coupla weeks ago?

Kate said...

Yay for auntie-hood! Congrats on the new niece and also on the jodpurs. I love this pattern book; haven't found a single thing in it to loathe and want to knit just about everything in it. Lots of the pants patterns in the book could, I think, be made on circulars. I wish I could find the magic equation that allows one to convert stitch counts from straight to circular patterns. I know that there's fewer stitches needed in circulars but that's about it and I'm too half-arsed to wing it and figure out the tension changes. Anyway, gauge swatches lie!