I didn't want to have two small balls of yarn left over from these socks, which is what I would have had if I'd started sock 2 with the new ball of yarn. So I just kept on going with the old one (these are knitted on 2.25mm sticks, 70 stitches to a round). Of course, if I'd done the toe in the same yarn, I would have only gotten half a leg, but I do like my signature red toe (which I've decided I'll only use on husby's socks - so he's special!)
In a pre-Southern Summer of Socks update (I can't bring myself to use SSS all the time, because of it's other meaning!), I've started the gusset decreases on these babies! A sustained bout of knitting over the weekend just might see these finished...fingers crossed! (well, not literally, because that would make the knitting a bit hard!). And even if I'm not, well, heck, I'm going to start a new pair on Monday anyway!