Monday, July 21, 2008

Sprinting for the line

I thought I'd take advantage of the flat stages over the past few days in the Tour de France to have a bit of a sprint, before the race hits the Alps and into Italy. Makes a nice change from the long slog of climbing mountains with Lady Eleanor.

And besides, I had a good reason - I can't let this go naked, now can I??!!So, to the creation of the iSock! Or the iPocket (I can't decide which name is better ...)Details

Yarn: Wollmeise sock yarn in Rosenrot, about 10g - had to have a RoseRed iSock/iPocket for my rosey red iPod...Sticks: 2.25mm KnitPicks fixed circular and then metal dpns for the flap strap.

Pattern: My own - after all, it's not rocket science. CO 40 stitches in the round, work 2x2 rib until it's long enough, do 3 needle bind off (or kitchener if you can be bothered, which I couldn't!), pick up enough stitches to make the flap strap (9, in my case), garter stitch until it's long enough, make buttonhole (3 stitch wide 1 row buttonhole) and do a few more rows, cast off! Weave in ends. Sew on button (one day, hopefully I'll find a button shaped like an apple. Or would that be too much?)Time: Heh, I'm not a very quick sprinter. Would definitely not beat Mark Cavendish! 17 July - 19 July 2008.What I learnt: I'm quite happy with this little iSock - will help avoid scratches, holds the cord as well as the iPod, can be worn whilst in operation and doesn't have to be removed to change songs (I often listen to the iPod on shuffle, so can just click to next song through the sock if I need to) and hey, it's red. Rose Red even!

24 comments:

Bells said...

totally perfect. Totally you!

The last time I made one of these was a night long insomnia bout. I had another one last night. I should have made a new one (the old one is crapola now). I think I will soon!

Jen said...

This is excellent! Especially as I just got an iPod Touch on Friday (hand-me-down from my husband who finally got his iPhone) and was contemplating what sort of sock to knit for it. Now I know. Hope you don't mind if I copy your design :)

amy said...

This is very cute. I bet you could find an apple button. I know we have them here. Nah, I don't think that would be too much. :)

MadMad said...

Very cute! And I think I've seen some apple buttons - I'll send if I can find one. BTW - is Rosenrot a real color name?

TinkingBell said...

oooooh - pretty = and so you!

m1k1 said...

I have a red apple button. Would you like it? 15mm "diameter"

Sue said...

What a great idea. Love the red too.

Sarah said...

Very cute, such a gorgeous red.

Thanks for the wishes for the missing knitting but I fear it is gawn forever - I like to imagine another knitter got it and one day I'll see the finished socks pop up on Rav!!

Westozcaat said...

I also have small red apple buttons- let me know if you want one

Anonymous said...

So, so cute. And crafty!

Alwen said...

Aw, it's darling! How about a big white button with a red dot/spot in the middle?

Linda said...

Thats great, what a fab colour!

Anonymous said...

It's great - I love how the white button makes it really match it ipod. And the cable holder is a great idea!

Snoozen said...

Very cute. Very you. I have some Apple buttons, if you are interested. They are kid-like Apple buttons, I am sure I have red. Let me know and I can put some aside for you.

Anonymous said...

Very cute - and very you!

Denise said...

Gorgeous! I love your red iPod too!!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your very Red Blog. It makes me feel a kindred Colour Spirit!!! That is so cute and I love the way you can wind the cord thingy around the whatsit and the flap with the button holds it all together!!!

Anonymous said...

ooooh I love it!

Ann said...

It's great & thanks for sharing the pattern. I should knit one for my daughter as I just bought her a Nano for her birthday.

Unknown said...

I really like the idea of wrapping the earbud cords around the outside, then strapping them down. I knit what I called a sleeping bag for my nano that was big enough for the cords to fit inside, but then it's lumpy and weird...may have to reknit one following your pattern!

kgirlknits said...

the W matches the 'pod perfectly, doesn't it? and I do like the offers of the apple buttons!

Anonymous said...

Love it love it. What a perfect little holder for your ipod. My son-in-law bought a tshirt last week for my newest granddaughter (his neice) with an ipod pic on the front. It said "ipoo'd" and "change". LOL.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this. The red is just perfect. And the flap that keeps the cord together? Brilliant! Was going to offer you an apple button too, but I see that you've got lots of offers already :) But let me know if you still want it :)

amanda j said...

What about calling it an i-socket? Hahaha. Sorry, too much caffeine this morning!

It is very cute!