Wednesday, July 26, 2006

My first socks


Reading knitting blogs and the Yarn Harlot's Meditations for Women who Knit Too Much (not that it is possible to knit too much, clearly!) made me yearn to experience the thrill of knitting socks, and the chance purchase of Jo Sharp's Knit vol 1 gave me a pattern, in 8ply wool and so I gave it a go and made Husby a pair of socks...
Details
Wool: Filatura di Crosa Zara (so soft, a beautiful wool 8ply, 2 and a bit 50g balls
Sticks: 4.5 and 4mm bamboo dpns
Time: Two weeks (I was amazed - how quick!!) I think it was in April
Pattern: can't remember the name of the pattern but it is in Jo Sharp's Knit vol 1. No shaping on the leg but in 8ply I don't think it matters so much. Was so pleased with the end product although I do have a couple of little ladders and turning the heel scared the crap out of me. Found a great internet tutorial (socks 101) and the best advice - just follow the pattern and it will work - and it did!! (I now apply that to all my knitting - mostly it works...). Since I can't sew my labels on I decided to personalise with the red toe, which will be my sock signature! Because there will be more socks, I am hooked! Husby also loves them and so yes, I have to make him more!

No comments: