Thursday, March 27, 2008

Every little bit helps

I was going to post today about my fabulous Ravelry Bag Lady Swap package (a HUGE thanks to Tinkingbell) but I was so busy finishing up my own swap package to send off today that I didn't get a chance to upload the photos last night. So you'll all have to wait in suspense...

In the meantime, can I encourage you to sign up for Earth Hour here. Earth Hour started in Sydney last year and is now global (yippee!). So for those who don't know, what is it? Here's the blurb:

At 8pm on March 29, 2008, Sydney will turn off its lights for just one hour - Earth Hour - to show that it's possible to take action on global warming. Switching off is a simple action that can make a difference and it sends a powerful message that the people of Sydney care about the future of the planet.

My work is doing it, the Sydney Harbour Bridge is doing it, I'm doing it - all the cool kids are doing it! I did it last year too and it was actually a really good change to turn everything off and sit and knit by candlelight (as I recall, it was a nice easy garter stitch project!).

So if you can, do your bit to make a difference.

8 comments:

Bells said...

ha! I literally just emailed you about this, since we're going to be at your place anyway. Good! We'll all do it!

amy said...

Can I do it at 8 pm YOUR time? I feel like such a loser, but what a terrible weekend to pick here in the States. One of the biggest sporting events of the year spans that weekend.... I bet they'd have way more success here a couple weeks earlier than later.

(And you KNOW I care about the Earth and environment! That's why I feel like such a loser!!)

Lynne said...

We participated last year and are in again this year!

Did they choose that date because we get an extra hour this weekend due to end of daylight saving?

Anonymous said...

I believe every little bit DOES help. Even the increased amount of information we've received on global warming in the last year shows that people are beginning to take notice. It's a start... Oh, and what Amy said? I'd be more than happy to turn everything off during basketball. HA!

Donna Lee said...

I have emailed my friends and coworkers. We are definitely participating. We are slowly replacing our lightbulbs with the ugly swirly ones. Sat nite we will be at Em's house and she will have the lights out for an hour. Maybe that's when we can light the birthday candles!

Kate said...

Well done all of youse! I'll see what I can do to convince H.I. that an hour away from the computer would be a good idea. Now, what could I do to convince him that one hour with no power isn't a waste of time. Hmm, I seem to be struggling with this... ; )

Ann said...

We are also doing it here in Perth!

Alwen said...

Can I count it if I go to bed an hour early with the start of the Zombie Cold?