Tuesday, March 11, 2008

SHOESday: Got any blacker?

You can't really get any blacker than these. My first pair of designer shoes, bought on huge sale in, where else, but Singapore! My first Singapore trip. Husby had to go to Singapore for a couple of weeks for work, and I decided to join him for a long weekend. We stayed in a fairly simple serviced apartment not far from Orchard Road. Wow, did I ever love Orchard Road! Great department stores, great chain stores - Zara! TopShop! And designer stores as far as the eye could see. I'd never been in a designer store before then, I don't think. Too scared. Too scared the shop assistants (I'm sure they are probably called Sales Associates or some other upmarket name, but whatever!) would look down their noses at me as if to say "You would never in a million years fit into our clothes" or "You can't even afford to buy a keyring in here, what are you doing here". But I thought to myself, well, I can afford to buy a keyring, and more, and yeah, I dare say I couldn't fit into your clothes, but I can fit into your shoes. So I'm a'comin' in, and ptooey to you if you don't like it. (I'm sure they weren't thinking these things really, that's just me, so really this conversation was with myself!)
And not only could I afford the shoes (especially as they were on huge reduction - I'm talking like 50-75% - much better reductions than in Australia!!) but I could also fit into them (fortunately my shoe size is the largest they usually stock). And every time I wear these shoes I feel like a million bucks, and I think of something my friend Miss J said to me on the second Singapore visit (when we had a girl's shopping weekend!!): "a cat can look at a king". Why yes a cat can, and sometimes a cat can even dress like one. Or at least, like a queen perhaps!Things I love about these shoes - the cross detail on the heel cup; the buckles on the vamp which have "Gucci" inscribed on them (why yes, I am a label whore...well, in a very very very understated way...I wouldn't buy a logo handbag for example!) and the sole of the shoe, which is actually a great non-slip sole, rather than slick leather, which means I don't need to get them resoled. These shoes are at least 4 years old and they still look fantastic (one of the benefits of buying good shoes and lots of them - they wear exceedingly well!)

15 comments:

MadMad said...

Why DO we have these conversations with ourselves in our heads.... about people making $5.25 an hour to serve US?! It's silly, isn't it? But we all do it, I guess. Kinda like when someone says "Your hair looks great today," and we say, "Really? Oh, I didn't even wash it today..."

OK. Maybe that last one's just me.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, I love the cross detail on the heel too. What a great buy!

Anonymous said...

I always feel like the sales people are judging me. I think it might be because the store is so small, and there are so many of them watching your every move. I feel like I shouldn't touch anything.

Denise said...

So you have weird conversations in your head too? Snap!

Love the shoes, very very stylish.

TinkingBell said...

Beautiful shoes (and I always feel like that with designer shops too - when we lived in Hong Kong I had a secret market - known only to locals where I could buy realio trulio designer stuff for a LOT less - it gave me a deep feeling of satisfaction to buy things for 10 bucks - mwaahhh! - And I got my shoes made for me - because I am and 8 1/2 B and that's huge for asian countries!)

Bells said...

Oh I have had that exact conversation. Probably why I am yet to buy anything designer!!

The detail is gorgeous. Just lovely. Simple and elegant.

I want a girls shopping weekend in Singapore!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oooooh yeah! Stunning!

Linda said...

They aregreat, its the cross bit on the heel I like. Finishing touches like that are great. Such a bargain too so they were destined to be yours!

Michele said...

so if a logo handbag (preferably Louis Vuitton) falls out of your sky into your lap does that mean you'll Express Post it to me? cause I really want one - or at least one of the old LV handbags.

seriously i love these shoes - especially the cross at the back. and it's so interesting to hear about your shopping adventures and how your attitude changed.

Anonymous said...

Just a perfect pair of black shoes...not too fancy but not plain. Really beautiful. And Gucci?? What's left to say?

lilypotter said...

I love bargains! Especially when they make you feel "like a million bucks." Good for you- and nice shoes! :)

Sarah said...

You keep on looking at whoever you like my dear :o)

Great post about the chocolate too by the way - am a big fan of buying ethically produced things.

Em said...

Wonderful shoes! Ladylike and sophisticated and classy. I'm with Bells, I want a girls' shopping weekend in Singapore! Name the date, I'll meet you there.

Anonymous said...

They look very vampy. Very, very nice.

Anonymous said...

"dress poorly and they'll look at your clothes... dress beautifully and they'll notice the woman" (Coco Chanel)

I think it goes for shoes too.