Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Happy feet!


My feet are very happy - the Gentleman's Fancy Socks are finally done! I only started these in MAY this year!!! But my feet are also sad - it is pretty well summer now and just a bit hot for socks - but no doubt these will get a workout in New York in January - hurrah!

I am so pleased with these socks - not only are they done but now I can start something else...but what to start? This is probably a bit too structured for me but I'm planning on doing a knitting calendar, for the next few months up until Christmas at least - I've got a few birthday and Christmas projects in mind and I think I need to keep track and set myself some goals!

But first, details:
Pattern: Gentleman's Fancy Sock from Nancy Bush Knitting Vintage Socks. I skipped two pattern repeats on the leg and one on the foot - these are plenty long enough for me in the leg and foot. I also made a mistake on the last pattern round on the foot, but luckily it (almost) looked intentional (as it was symmetrical) so I just made sure I made the same mistake on sock2. The socks do look a bit funny off the foot (very pointy heel and toe, a bit elvish) but look good on (well, I think so anyway!). I also love this stitch pattern - I think I'm going to do a beanie in it!
Wool: Schaefer Anne, colour 16A. This is the finest wool I've knit with and it does make for a bit slower going but it was great to knit with and the patterning on the socks is great - it only pooled a bit on the heel flap and the toe, and in fact pooled symmetrically on each sock, but on one in the brighter red and the other in the darker red.
Sticks: 2.5mm bamboo dpns. The pattern called for 2mm but my usual tight tension meant this was way off on the gauge. Also, I feel like I was knitting with toothpicks. I think I need metal if I ever need to use 2mm sticks.
Time: I started these in May (!!) and finished on 2 October 2006

1 comment:

Carson said...

congrats on finishing the socks! they look great. love the colour. good idea to 'symmetricalise' (just coined a word there) the mistake.
what a score on the rowan!