Wednesday, October 25, 2006

(non) Ribbon Edged Cardigan


Let me introduce you to the (finished a month ahead of COP schedule!) (non) Ribbon Edged Cardigan - made for my friend L who is due to have her first baby (a boy) in early December. Due to the boy-ness, there is of course no ribbon edge. I think the teddy-head buttons really make it - I love it! I hope she will too (and even more importantly, that it will fit the little fella next year when it is cold enough!

So, details:

Pattern: Ribbon edged cardigan from Debbie Bliss Special Knits. As mentioned, I didn't sew on the ruffled ribbon edging along the buttonhole and bottom of the cardi. I thought about sewing navy gingham ribbon around the inside edge, just to add another nice finish, but my dislike of sewing got the better of me. As it was, it took me two weeks to get around to sewing this up after blocking it. Otherwise, no adjustments to the pattern - but note, there is a minor error in this pattern - the errata is on the Debbie Bliss website.

Sticks: 3.5mm bamboo straights. Pattern recommended 3.25 but as usual, I had to go up a size. Even though I knit the sleeves at the same time, I have decided I am going to try and convert most patterns to circular or all in one piece knitting. I really hate seaming...

Yarn: I didn't use Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino as specified - decided I would try and bust some stash (hurrah for me!). So 2x50g balls of Rowan True 4py Botany in navy. This wool softens up a lot upon washing - I did a full wet-block to bring out the rib effect. It makes a lovely light fabric which is good for the mild Sydney weather.

Time: Started 15 August 06 and finished on 21 October 06 (although the actual knitting part was done by early October!!).

No comments: