Friday, March 02, 2007

Addictions

My name is Rose Red and I'm addicted to buying yarn.


I really only started knitting properly again about 2.5 years ago, after not having done any since I was a teenager. A work colleague asked me how to cast off a scarf she was making and I could actually remember how to do it. And that inspired me to make a scarf. And then my best friend fell pregnant with twins and so I decided to make a jumper for each of them. And so it went on from there.


In that period, I have managed, somehow, I don't know how and don't even want to contemplate how, to purchase a large amount of yarn. A VERY large amount of yarn. Almost 23 kilos (or 50lb) of yarn. Looking at how much I knit last year, I'd say that's probably enough to last me 10 years. Oh my.


Inspired by others out there in blogland, I am joining in Knit from your Stash 2007. Here's my version of the rules:


Rose Red: Knit from your Stash 2007

  1. Sock yarn doesn't count (see, I'm making exceptions already) - but only if it is the most superfantastic sock yarn that I'll never be able to get again.

  2. I can buy yarn for knitted gifts (or yarn-y gifts) but only if I don't already have something suitable in the stash (no intentional picking of projects for which I know I have no stash!)

  3. I am allowed to buy a particular discontinued yarn if it ever becomes available (eg on eBay)

  4. I can buy sticks, books and other knitting accessories

  5. I can buy yarn to complete a project using stash yarn, if absolutely necessary

  6. I can buy yarn for my birthday

  7. I can receive yarn as a gift (a genuine gift!)

  8. I can fall off the wagon twice (not counting my birthday or sock yarn!)

  9. Knit from your Stash commences 1 February 2007 through to 31 December 2007.

To help, I am also going to do more of this:

(it's going to be hard. I am a hoarder). And there'll be a little yarn giveaway on my blog sometime this year. It'll be good stuff, I promise!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You Know you Can Do It. We are here to help. If you need counselling please drop us a line at Good Yarn Karma and we will talk you through it. It won't be too bad - AND you might win MORE YARN in our March give-away.

Stephanie said...

You can do it...with all those wonderful new books you have you will make a nice dent in your stash!

Linda said...

Well done on joining the knit from your stash and yarn karma! Imagine that when you are finished in December you can go on a splurge!!!

Anonymous said...

It's so hard, I know. I'm on an unofficial yarn diet myself...unofficial so that if (when) I mess up, no one has to know, LOL.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Del, but whatever tickles your fancy J, m'dear...

Our motto at GYK: RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

PS: Thanks for the plug. x

Bells said...

your return to knitting sounds much like my own - and about the same timeframe too!

My husband thinks my version of the Knit From Your Stash thing has more exceptions than rules. I think he might be right.

Go GYK!