Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I2

Yes, last night no knitting was done - o no - I went to see U2 in their last Sydney concert (well, for this tour anyway...) We missed out in the ticket buying frenzy when their shows originally went on sale way back when, but snapped up tickets for the 3rd show last week (after seeing them advertised on tv).

I'm not the greatest most dedicated U2 fan in the whole world - don't get me wrong, I think they are great, but I don't know all the words to all the songs (unlike the guy on the train home who decided to recap the "best bits" of the night - at least he knew the words...).

But I figured they might not tour out here again or it might not happen until they are like the Rolling Stones (look, not a huge fan, am sure they still rock it, but it can't be quite the same as when they were in their prime).

Anyway, it was great - loved it! Loved the political statements, loved the stage strutting, loved the (almost?) dissing/homage to Kylie Minogue (not once but twice!), loved doing the mexican wave beforehand and seeing it go across the standing room only section in front of the stage (awesome!), not so sure about the slightly creepy part where Bono got a girl up on stage (she may have been a young woman) and was kneeling at her feet singing With or Without You (or quite possibly I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For) - directly into her crotch zone. Not sure if she was overcome with hysteria or embarrasment. Anyway, bet she'll remember it!

Above all, a sense of connectedness - the sort that blogging gives, participating in an on-line community - but actually with people around you!! A great show.

No comments: