Friday, November 03, 2006

Oh dear...

Oh dear...


Yes, I finished the whole body piece of this baby cardi (Rosebud) for my friend L, whose baby is due towards the end of November. It was only then I noticed the cotton I used (bought via eBay, some balls with no labels) was two different dyelots. f*&%$#!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I can't believe I didn't notice it until I'd finished. I was knitting at night but with a fairly strong light - it is sooooo obvious!!

Now, the question is, do I frog the right front down to the armhole and redo, with the "top" colour, and perhaps sew a ribbon around the join to hide it and make a feature ("yes, I fully intended to use two different shades of the same cotton"), or do I just leave it ("yes, it is a one-off with many hours of work created especially for you"; OR "I'm too lazy and so not a perfectionist that I couldn't be bothered fixing it"). Or do I use Carson's tea dying method to try and even the colour out but still keep it neutral (if that would even work on two different shades??). I say again, oh dear...

8 comments:

~Jody said...

I vote you dye it!! Just be careful what you use because cotton won't take some dyes. I would also suggest overdying a different shade alltogether because if you go for tea you may still have a light half & a dark half. Experiment a little before you dunk your sweater. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Oh no!!! I had the same thing happen to me with some ebay yarn...darn that ebay, LOL. I agree that dying is a good option & experiment first. Good luck!

Also, I'm so happy that I've inspired someone else to do the Hourglass Sweater-it's really easy & fun & I can't wait to see yours!

Carson said...

oh bugger bugger bugger!
how annoying!
I've had a couple of ebay yarn disappointments and I think I'm swearing off that avenue of yarn buying.
So..to problem-solve:
I would frog the right side down to the same line as the left then redo in 'top' dyelot. It would then appear intentional.
Maybe, just as an idea; instead of a ribbon along that line; some cute top-stitching in chunkier yarn (of a darker blue, or even a contrasting colour) you could then do the same thing on the sleeves, tieing the whole garment together, but in a subtle way.
I agree with knitnthings re the dyeing or dipping. The 2 differnt dyelots will 'take' differently (probably) and you'll still end up with the same problem.
Good luck with it!

Rose Red said...

Hmmm, topstitching - that's an excellent idea...

Jo said...

Oh damn!!!. I'm with Carson, frog the right front down to the armhole and make the colour change look intentional. Then you could gussie up the join if you want to or just leave it as the feature.

PS, thanks for your kind words and thoughts.

jacqui said...

I have to go with the frog-to-the-armhole crew. That could end up looking pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

Or frog to the armhole and knit in stripes making a feature of change of dyelots?

Anonymous said...

Yup, Carson's idea: frog to the armhole and finish off with topst. OR, you could K a row of eyelets (K2tog, YO) between the 2 dyelots and thread ribbon through them.