Thursday, November 30, 2006

Proportionality

Earlier this year my two nephews (aged 12 and 9) requested beanies in the colours of their (and their father's) favourite football team, the Roosters. I think they had in mind that I would make them immediately and in time for winter. Oh well. They are getting them for Christmas - in time for next winter!
The great thing about beanies is that they are such a quick knit - especially on a circular stick. I'm using a combination of Zara (red that I had in stash plus white which I had to buy) and Jo Sharp DK in navy - there was no Zara navy. The Jo Sharp is not as soft or sproingy as the Zara but I think they work together ok. Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect makes a great knitting companion - I reckon the second part on Friday night should see me finished this (or just about, anyway!).

I'm making up the pattern as I go along (it's only a beanie, after all!) using the Yarn Harlot's Knitting Rules - all sorts of extremely useful info (for hats, scarves, socks etc), like, for me, average head sizing for babies, toddlers, children, small and large adults, and lots of very interesting proportions info - did you know that your hand, from wrist to fingertip, is about the same size as your head (from ears up) - or something like that - just buy the book!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that book; it's so helpful! The beanie-in-progress looks great in those colors.

Carson said...

There was a copy of that on ebay..I wonder why someone would part with it? Hmm...I'm going to nab a copy from Amazon, my local book shop(s) never seem to have it.

Stephanie said...

I'm always happy to hear about a positive book recommendation. I like tips like that hand trick!

Carson said...

thanks for the dymocks tip.
bugger, i was just in the city on tuesday and i didn't think to go in there (or was i put off by the xmas crowds? ugh).

Unknown said...

I have the Yarn Harlot's book at home but haven't gotten through it all yet - that's why I'm sitting here in my office measuring my head from the ear up with my hand . . . it works!! ;-)